I’m very interested in the idea of using physical objects to sculpt and shape space in a virtual environment … and vica versa. For my final project I will be exploring the concept and practicality of using a physical object as the base building block for a digital sculpture.
For this experiment, the base building block will be the voxel; a three dimensional pixel.
A wireless cube will be used to control the orientation and placement of a voxel inside a Processing sketch. When the position is set, the user can “drop” the voxel into place, Tetris style, then add another voxel. This method can be repeated to create a 3D sculpture.
bill of materials
(1) triple axis accelerometer and gyro breakout - MPU-6050 :: $39.95
(1) soft foam cube :: $10.00
(1) lithium-ion batter (3.7v) :: $5.95
(2) xBee radio modules :: $22.95/each :: $45.90
(2) xBee radio adapters :: $10.00/each :: $20.00
Approximate Total Cost :: $130.00
Week of 11/17
- Order materials – allow 3-5 days for delivery
- Prototype the hardwired circuit with borrowed materials
- Begin development of processing environment for 3D objects
- Mockup sizes for voxel with blue foam
Week of 11/24
- Materials arrive
- Continue development of processing 3D environment
- Begin user testing
- Refine design of enclosure
Week of 12/1 through 12/5
- Final enclosure completion
- Final assembly of physical interface circuitry
- Completion of sculpting environment via Processing